It was built by the Dutch who occupied the southern part of Taiwan in 1653. It was originally called the “Fort Provintia”, and it was a distant antagonist from the "Fort Zeelandia" in Anping. Fort Zeelandia served as the governor-general of the Dutch, while Fort Provintia served as the administrative and commercial center.
Fort Provintia is composed of three slightly square pedestals connected together. Each pedestal is built with a western-style building. The city walls are made of sugar water and glutinous rice juice mixed with oyster shell ash as the bonding material, and red bricks are the main components. It is made of stacked building materials and is as solid as a rock. After more than 300 years, there are still thick walls and arches.
The Chihkan Tower, which has been around for more than 300 years, has a magnificent pavilion with red eaves and red tiles today. In the historical changes, it was once a Western-style castle in the Dutch era, a Chinese-style pavilion in the Qing Dynasty era, an army hospital in the Japanese era, and the historical relics museum so far, witnessing the vicissitudes of the setting sun.
In 1983, it was listed as the first-class historical site by Ministry of the Interior.